Siéna Van Schoor
The Knysna Independent Movement announces Siéna Van Schoor as the candidate for Knysna Ward 9 in the local government elections 2021.
Siéna has a BCom Marketing & Public Relations degree. Since relocating to Knysna in 1997, she used her skills and entrepreneurial penchant to set up her husband’s surgical practice and establish an eatery. Siéna gained 21 years of invaluable training, consulting, sales and marketing experience while working for one of the top 2 international companies in surgical device sales.
Despite losing her home in the 2017 fires, Siéna’s empathetic response to the fires was to help other fire victims through the #OneKnysna community association. She helped to ensure that donations were directed to victims and liaised on their behalf with aid organisations and government authorities. She coordinated meetings with Council representatives to lobby for rates relief for fire victims.
Her tenacious efforts led to her being voted onto the Ward committee in Ward 10. She has since moved into a residential estate in ward 9, where she serves on the home owners association.
Siéna will pursue the following priorities in Council on behalf of Ward 9:
- George Rex Drive: Resurfacing George Rex Drive from Vigilance Drive to the former Senza’s building, including the extension of the boardwalk parallel to the road.
- Lobbying for bulk infrastructure investment into roads, as well as sewer and water upgrades and replacement.
- Working for the protection of the environment, by working with authorities to introduce a lagoon edge monitoring programme for early warning, prevention combatting of pollution activities to protect estuarine ecosystems, developing training for responsible fishing & prawn pumping and working with the residents to find an amicable solution to address the baboon concerns in Hunters Home and Rexford.
- Negotiating for land tenure and services for forestry villages in Ward 9 and promoting job creation initiatives.
- Promoting safe & secure public spaces, through increased investment in CCTV camera installation along public and tourism access routes.
- Prioritising investments in the upgrade and management of tourist spaces by securing leases of the Senza restaurant and Steenbok Park and the upgrading of the African Craft Market area for trade as well as other complimentary activities.
Leisure Island Seawall: Ensuring that every effort is made to obtain funding from the relevant authorities to repair, maintain and upgrade the Leisure Island s