The Knysna Independent Movement proudly announces Susan Campbell as its candidate for Knysna’s Wards 1 and 5 in the 2021 local government elections.
Susan has earned both BA (Law) and LLB degrees and has successfully completed courses in environmental, planning, pollution and natural resources law at the University of Cape Town. From 1980 until 1986 she worked as a prosecutor in Pietermaritzburg and Randburg, and then as a lawyer in private practice in Randburg before relocating to Knysna in 2003. In Knysna, she soon became interested in environmental, planning and social justice issues, culminating in her service on the Knysna Municipal Planning Tribunal from 2016 until 2020.
Susan fights tirelessly against corruption and is constantly focused on uncovering the truth. She has identified and reported a number of tender irregularities, illegal appointments and identified illegal expenditure totalling at least R15 Million by Knysna Municipality.
Susan currently chairs the Knysna and Rural Ratepayer’s Associations and was a founding member and serves on the executive committee of the Western Heads and Goukama Conservancy. She was a member of the Uitzicht Landowners Association and a founding member of the Western Heads Protection Group that opposed a proposed 600-dwelling Uitzicht development. She has been working to ensure that undeveloped land on the Western Heads (including her family’s property) is incorporated into the Garden Route National Park. As part of this effort, she has also been vigilant in preventing the Garden Route District Municipality from selling 200 hectares of conservation land next to Buffels Bay as well as the Swartvlei camping site to developers.
Susan’s keen sense of justice and tenacity spurred her to report and prevent the unlawful demolition of various family homes in forestry settlements in the Rheenendal area. She is currently helping residents of Brackenhill and other nearby forestry settlements to secure permanent land tenure rights.
Susan will pursue the following priorities in Council on behalf of Wards 1 and 5:
- Continuing to uncover existing corruption and prevent new corrupt schemes by deployed cadres and others, and ensuring that offenders are held to account.
- Ensuring that municipal spending is focused on the construction, repair and replacement of the necessary bulk infrastructure throughout Knysna: roads, water and sewerage.
- Protecting the critically endangered fynbos of the Western Heads by working towards the incorporation of municipal and private land into formally protected areas through public private partnerships.
- Ensuring that Swartvlei Caravan Park remains accessible to the public and that the environment is protected for the benefit of future generations.
- Developing safe and affordable public transport for residents and tourists to ensure access to employment opportunities, shopping, beaches and recreational areas.
- Working with the National and Provincial authorities to prevent further unsafe informal settlements by identifying and acquiring suitable land for social housing projects in Rheenendal and Sedgefield and implementing those projects as a matter of urgency.
- Creating employment opportunities in rural areas through appropriate rural development initiatives.
- Removing invasive alien vegetation, thereby creating jobs, reversing environmental degradation, improving water security and reducing the fire load.
- Ensuring that fair, consistent and lawful property rates are levied on owners of rural properties.